- 3 – 4 large heads of broccoli, washed and stems removed
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 knob fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 small carrot, cleaned and chopped
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 4 oz butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Few drops pepper sauce (optional)
- Sesame seed oil to drizzle
- For the SORREL SOUP- In a heavy sauce pot, boil sorrel for 15 minutes until translucent, then strain.
- In sauté pan, sauté onions, garlic, pimentos and sorrel pulp with butter. Add liquid from strained sorrel and boil for 15mins. Blend the mixture in a food processor or blender and place back into the sauce pot. Simmer for 15mins with bay leaves and cinnamon sticks.
- For the PUMPKIN SOUP – In a heavy sauce pot heat oil & sauté onions, pimentos, garlic and pumpkin. Add cinnamon & cardamon and cook for 10mins. Add 1/2 cup water and allow pumpkin to cook until soft then blend.
- Place the mixture back into the sauce pot, add cream and salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 mins.
- When ready to serve add the soups simultaneously in the bowl which will create a lovely contrast of color.