- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2-3 pimento peppers, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of thyme, chopped
- 2 cups of pumpkin, diced
- 1-½ cups of black eye peas
- 2½ cups rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp all purpose seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste.
In a medium pot bring some water to a boil and add black eye peas. Allow peas to cook for at least 45 minutes. Strain and set aside.
In a large pot heat oil and sauté pimento peppers, garlic, onion and pumpkin for about 5 minutes.
Add peas, rice and chicken broth together with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Stir in chives, thyme and celery and serve.