- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 6 oz butter, cut in small cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Place the sugar and water in a large heavy duty saucepan. Cook over medium high heat until the sugar is melted and reaches a golden brown to light amber colour. Do not stir the sugar during cooking, but you may swirl the pan intermittently. Use a pastry brush dipped in water to brush any crystalized sugar from the sides of the pan.
- When the sugar has reached the right colour, quickly add the butter and stir immediately until melted. Be careful as the mixture will bubble vigorously.
- Remove from heat. Add the vanilla essence to the cream and add the cream stirring continuously until smooth.
- Let the caramel cool completely before using and store the remaining sauce in the refrigerator.