- 5 – 6 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- 2 cups finely diced cooked ham
- 1 ham bone (optional)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups broth
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 oz butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat oil and butter in a large soup pot.
- Saute onions until softened, 2 – 3 minutes; add garlic, ham, chives, toss and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes, mix and heat together with the ham mixture. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Pour in water, stock, ham bone, salt and pepper; bring to boil and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are cooked and begun to breakdown.
- In a separate saute pan over medium heat melt butter, whisk in flour and stir constantly for about a minute; slowly stir in milk, add salt, pepper and a dash of mustard. Add cheeses and continue stirring about 3 to 5 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Add the cheese sauce to soup, combine and simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve.