- 2 lbs potatoes, washed and dried
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp salt
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup flour
- 4 oz butter
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Additional grated cheddar cheese
- Dried parsley
- Crumbled crisp bacon (optional)
- Wash potatoes thoroughly and pat dry (leaving skin on). Place potatoes on a baking sheet and rub all over with oil and salt. Place in a preheated 400 degree F oven and roast until done. After about 20 minutes, check potatoes for doneness.
- While potatoes are in the oven, in a pot melt butter, add onions and cook over medium heat. Add flour and cook for a few minutes. Add milk and water and stir well to get rid of any lumps. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and cheddar cheese.
- When potatoes are done, let cool and cut into cubes. Add to soup and simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve soup topped with cheese, parsley and bacon if using.