- 3 lbs fish cleaned – (Mix of fish heads, tails and mid bone)
- 1½ – 2 litres water
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- ½ tbsp all purpose seasoning
- Mix of fresh green seasoning (chive, thyme – small and big leaf, shadon beni), chopped
- 3 limes
- Green Figs, peeled
- Ochroes, cut in large chunks
- Potatoes, peeled, large dice
- Tomatoes, cut in chunks
- Squash, peeled, large dice
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, optional
Place water in a large stock pot to bring to a boil. Add salt, black pepper and all purpose seasoning. Just before the water boils, add the green seasoning. Let boil for 10 minutes.
While the liquid is coming to a boil, squeeze the lime juice over the cleaned fish. Rub with a little bit of green seasoning. Set aside.
Add the potatoes and squash to the boiling liquid. Let cook for 10 minutes.
Add the fish and continue cooking at high heat for another 10 minutes.
Add the remaining vegetables and let continue cooking for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for another 5 minutes. A little additional lime juice may be added to your taste. Continue simmering for a little while for the flavors to blend.
Serve with toasted bread.