- 6 slices bacon, halved
- 2 extra slices bacon, quartered
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small sweet pepper, diced
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp pepper sauce
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese or mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cooking Spray
- In a medium saucepan, cook all the bacon until crisp. Crumble the six slices into pieces and set aside with the additional bacon.
- Using the rendered bacon fat in the pan, add the mushrooms and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Add the onions and peppers and cook until tender. You may need to add just a touch of oil. Add the chives and garlic. Stir to combine and cook for a few minutes, ensuring the garlic does not burn. Season with the salt and pepper. Mix in the pepper sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking dish lightly with cooking spray.
- In another bowl, mix together the cheeses, crumbled bacon and mayonnaise.Add the cooled mushroom mixture and mix thoroughly. Place the mixture in prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining bacon quarters.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until the mixture is bubbling and golden brown. Remove from oven and serve immediately with your favourite tortilla chips, toasted bread slices, vegetables and/or crackers.