- 4 medium beets, washed thoroughly
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 – 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/4 head of purple cabbage, thinly chopped
- 1 can black beans with their juice
- 2 6 inch sticks of rosemary
- 10 cups water and 6 cups vegetable stock
- I cup of fresh tomato puree
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp chopped dill
- 1 tsp homemade pepper sauce, optional
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- Slices of goat cheese for garnish
- Boil the beets until a knife can pierce through smoothly. Keep the water from the beets. Peel sweet potato and open tin of black beans. Set aside.
- After peeling, roast two beets with a little olive oil for 5 – 8 minutes, dice them up and put it back into the water from the beets. Put the water with the roasted beets backs onto the fire at a low boiling point and puree the beets with a hand mixer.
- Finely chop some rosemary and add to the pot. Cut the other two beets into bite size pieces and put it into the pot after the puree process. Put the sweet potatoes and black beans into the pot.
- Sauté the carrots, onions and cabbage with honey, caraway seeds and tomato puree for about 5 minutes, then put it into the soup. Cook until the sweet potatoes are cooked.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste, add hot pepper if desired. Serve hot with goat cheese and garnished with chopped dill.