- 4 pieces smoked bones or pigtail
- 3 cups dried lentils, soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped pumpkin
- 2 carrots chopped
- 3 – 4 eddoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 – 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tbsp chopped celery leaves
- 2 – 3 large thyme leaves, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Dough for dumplings
Heat oil in a large pot. Add the smoked bones or pigtail.
Add the onion, peas and pumpkin. Stir for a minute and then add the water and bouillon cubes.
Let cook for 30 minutes or until the peas are tender.
Add the carrots, potatoes, eddoes and garlic. Continue to cook over a medium heat until the provisions are tender.
Add the shaped dumplings, celery and thyme, salt and black pepper.
Let cook for a further 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve hot.