- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 3 sausages, we used Del Mano, basil and tomato (choose your preferred flavour)
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 oz butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- ½ medium onion, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp paprika, smoked paprika if possible
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- Oil for deep frying
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook just until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Add butter and milk. Mash with a fork and set aside.
- Split open the sausages with a knife and remove the sausage meat, crumbling it into small pieces.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan. Add the onions and cook for 1 minute. Add the sausage meat and cook, crumbling the meat more if necessary. It should look liked minced meat. Add the paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix in and finish cooking the sausage. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add the sausage to the mashed potato and mix well.
- Set up a breading station, placing the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Season the flour and breadcrumbs with salt and black pepper.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of sausage mixture into the palm of hand and flatten evenly. Place an egg in the center and then enclose the egg in the sausage potato mixture. You may need to add just a little more to ensure the egg is completely covered.
- Bread the egg: first roll in the flour, then the beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs. Repeat the process with the other eggs.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. The oil should be deep enough to cover half of the scotch egg. Add the eggs, about two at a time and cook until golden brown, turning onto the other side for even cooking. Remove and drain on a paper towel.
- Cut the eggs in half and serve. You can serve with a salad and drizzle eggs with a creamy garlic sauce.