- 1 large eggplant/melongene, cut into diagonal ½ inch thick slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large sweet peppers, sliced
- 1½ cups fresh sliced white button mushrooms
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 4 hoagie rolls split in half lengthwise
Preheat broiler to 400 – 425 degrees F. Spray the broiler rack with a little cooking spray.
Lightly brush the eggplant slices with a little olive oil. Place on rack and place in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes or until the eggplant is tender.
Meanwhile heat a little more oil in a small frying pan. Add the mushrooms and sweet peppers and cook just until tender crisp. Remove from heat.
Lightly toast the rolls, cut side up.
Mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Spread a little of the mayonnaise mixture on the each half of the four rolls.
Layer with the eggplant, pepper and mushroom mixture.
Top with crumbled feta cheese. Top with the other half and serve.