- ½ lb split peas powder
- ½ lb channa powder
- (raw channa/chickpeas soaked overnight and ground in food processor)
- 2 tbsp chopped curry leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, grated
- ½ piece small scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ pack instant yeast
- 7 – 8 dasheen leaves (calalloo bush)
- 2 cups hot water mixed with juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of salt
- Oil for frying
Chop the calaloo bush and pour the hot water mixture over the chopped leaves to scorch. Drain and set aside.
Mix all the dry ingredients together with the calalloo bush. Add enough water to form a soft dough.
Form dough into small 1-inch balls and flatten with the palm of your hand.
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry the dough in hot oil until cooked and golden brown.
Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
Serve with mango chutney.