- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 4-5 blades of chives, finely chopped
- 2-3 blades of chadon beni, finely chopped
- 4-5 pinches of curry powder
- 2-3 pinches of cumin
- 2-3 pinches of cayenne pepper
- 4 tbsp of tomato paste
- 2-3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups of seafood or chicken broth
- 1 dozen mussels, on the half shell
- 1 skinless fillet of , king fish, mahi mahi or other firm fleshed fish
- Meat from 1 lobster tail
- 1 cup squid rings, rinsed
- 12-16 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup bell peppers, finely diced
- 1 cup pumpkin, peeled and finely diced
- 1 cup of spinach leaves, washed and stemmed
- ¼ cup of dark Rum combined with a few dashes of your favourite pepper sauce
Prepare seafood – Carefully wash mussels and sprinkle with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper; cut fish and lobster into 1 inch chunks, add shrimp and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Refrigerate.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a stock pot.
Add onion, garlic, and sauté for about 10 minutes or until onions are tender, be careful not to burn garlic; reduce heat if necessary.
Toss in chives, chadon beni, curry powder, cumin, tomato paste, tomatoes, cans of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and stock. Bring to boil and simmer for 7-10 minutes; while simmering add pinches of salt and pepper to taste.
Using a strainer, scoop tomatoes and onions and with the back of a large spoon strain broth over pot. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Set aside broth.
In a large, deep skillet or frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
Add fish, shrimp, peppers and pumpkin and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring. Then add lobster, squid, spinach and mussels sauté and toss cooking for just 1 minute.
Gently toss seafood mixture into the stock pot with the tomato broth, over a medium heat, simmer for 7-10 minutes.
Remove from heat stir in the pepper sauce and rum mixture and serve.