- 1 pound of sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- ½ pound of regular potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- ¼ cup of white wine
- 1 teaspoon of chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of thyme, finely chopped
- 4-6 strips of bacon
- 1 teaspoon of chopped parsley to garnish
Cook bacon until crisp. Chop and set aside. Reserve a little of the bacon fat.
Boil sliced potatoes in a stockpot; add wine to the water, simmer potatoes for 40-45 minutes. Strain and set aside potatoes.
Heat butter and oil in a saucepan; sauté onions, carrots, chives and thyme. stirring for 5-7 minutes until carrots are tender.
In a large pot, combine potatoes with onion mixture and in batches puree potatoes in a food processor or blender until smooth. Transfer back to the pot, over medium heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
While soup is simmering you may add more vegetable stock if needed and finally add rendered bacon fat to soup. The texture will be thick.
Serve hot garnished with chopped bacon and parsley.