- 1 sheet pre-packaged puff pastry
- 4 – 5 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces
- 3 – 4 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tub ricotta cheese (425 g)
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp minced parsley
- 1 tbsp minced basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or pepper sauce
- Extra basil for top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and line with wax paper. Spread the pastry onto the sheet pressing if necessary to the edges. You can also roll the pastry a bit thinner and then spread it on the sheet. Form a raised border with the edges of the pastry so that the filling will not seep out.
- Mix together the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, eggs, basil, parsley and salt and pepper. Taste mixture and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Spread the filling evenly onto the pastry. Arrange the tomato slices decoratively over the cheese. Sprinkle with the chopped bacon. Top with chopped basil if using.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the tart is puffed up and golden brown. You can begin to check after 15 minutes of baking.
- Remove and top with chopped basil if using. Cut into squares to serve, pared with a mixed green salad.