- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pack yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Extra olive oil for drizzling
- Mix together the yeast, warm water and honey. Leave for 5 – 10 minutes for the yeast to froth.
- Sift together the flour and 1 tsp salt. Add to the yeast mixture along with the ¼ cup olive oil. Mix well to form a dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until dough is smooth, approximately 5 – 7 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise about 1 hour.
- When the dough has risen, turn out onto a medium sized baking sheet that has been greased with a little olive oil. Press out the dough evenly to the corners. Using your fingertip, make indentations on the dough. Drizzle the dough with some olive oil, about 1 – 2 tbsp. A flavoured olive oil such as garlic is a great substitution. Cover and leave to rise again, about half hour.
- Meanwhile sauté the onion in a little olive oil, just until soft and starting to brown. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange the tomato slices over the dough. Sprinkle with the sliced onions, the Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese and sea salt. If desired drizzle with a little more olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 20 – 25 minutes or until the focaccia is golden brown. Remove from oven, cut into squares and serve.