- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 oz cold butter or margarine
- 1 oz shortening
- Approx ½ cup cold water
- Tuna salad
- Cheddar cheese slices
- 1 – 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Cooking Spray
- Make the pastry: Cut the butter and shortening into the flour and salt until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add in enough water, just to bring the mixture together. Turn onto a floured board and knead gently until smooth, approx 1 – 2 minutes. Refrigerate at least half hour before use. Dough should be well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut out rounds with a lightly floured cookie cutter or the top of a round glass.
- Place approximately a teaspoonful of tuna salad in the center of the round. Brush the edge with a little water. Top with a slice or two of cheese. Place another pastry round on top and seal the edges, using a fork to press the edges together. Place on baking sheet. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Brush the top of the pies lightly with the beaten egg.
- Place the pies in the preheated oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the pies are golden brown. Remove from the tray and place on a wire rack. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Refrigerate any leftover pies and reheat in the oven.