- 3 cups dried yellow split peas, soaked overnight and drained
- 3 – 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped pumpkin
- 2 carrots chopped
- 5-6 eddoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 green figs
- 3–4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 4 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 tbsp chopped celery leaves
- 2 – 3 large thyme leaves, chopped
- 3 – 4 tbsp fresh green seasoning
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Dough for dumplings
Heat oil in a large pot.
Add the onion, garlic, pimento peppers, peas and pumpkin. Stir for a minute and then add the water and bouillon cubes. Let cook for 45 minutes or until the peas are tender. Stir intermittently while cooking. You may need to add more water or stock to ensure there is enough liquid to cook the dumplings and prevent sticking.
Meanwhile cook the provisions in boiling water. Peel, cut into large chunks and set aside.
When the peas are cooked, add the green seasoning,celery and thyme, salt and black pepper. Taste the soup and add more seasoning if needed.
Add the shaped dumplings and provisions. Let cook for a further 10 – 15 minutes.
Taste again and adjust seasonings. Serve.